Saturday, February 20, 2010

I love eggs!

For a healthy diet, I personally think that the best food is eggs! Yup plain ole chicken eggs. Although, turkey eggs might be good too, I've never had one. Quail eggs are mighty tasty too, just small. In fact someday hopefully soon, I hope to have my own backyard flock of layers! Oh, how I wish for green eggs.
Anyhow, I love to eat eggs. So does my Woogie. It is so cute to see him grab the frying pan and carry it around the house begging me to make eggs. LOL!

What makes eggs so amazing?

Well I did some research and found that eggs are full of nutrients. Tons of them! Not only do they provide a good source of protein but they also provide:
Choline, lutein&Zeaxanthin, vitamins A, D, E, B6 and B12, folate, thiamin, riboflavin, calcium (this is besides the eggs shells that may or may not end up in your cake batter), sodium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and zinc.

Wow! that is a long list. All of these nutrients are very important to the body. I suppose that's why in serious heart problems we always check blood levels of most of those nutrients.:)

Eggs have a healthy balance of calories, fats and protein. This makes you feel full longer. Some people give fat a bad rap but fat is a very necessary component of a healthy diet. Most of the vitamins in the list above cannot be absorbed into your body with out fat. They are called fat-soluble vitamins. This means that when fat is in your gut with your food, it gets moved into your blood stream. Fat-soluble vitamins cling to the fat molecules and get carried into your blood stream with the fat. So why not eat something that makes this easier to occur? The fat is in the egg along with the nutrients, ready to help them hop into your bloodstream where your body can use them. Also fat also helps you to feel sasiated longer because it does take longer to digest than sugar or protein. Fat is a complex little molecule.
The beautiful complexity of an egg is simply awesome!
On a side note: some people believe that eating egg whites only will be healthier for themselves. Whereas this maybe true in individual cases, please realize that most of the nutrients listed above are found only in the yolks! So be careful in dividing up your eggs.
Did you know that on average the Japanese population, per person, eats 1 egg a day? I wonder why their kids are so smart...
For myself I love hard boiled and scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs with just a bit of cheese and green peppers are hard to beat!
Another tip to make your incredible egg more amazing at mealtimes, is to skip ketchup (or catsup)and use salsa instead. Less fructose. Especially if you make homemade salsa like here.
Enjoy your eggs! I know I will be. I wish you good health!

2 comments:

  1. Plus, my crunchy-mama sister Carol says eggs are a "clean" source of protein. Yay eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that was very infornative. I had no idea. I think I'm going to add eggs back into my diet. I love eggs.

    ReplyDelete