Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Running tips

Besides other exercise that I've mentioned, I'm also a runner. Not a serious runner mind you, but I do enjoy* running.
If you have never run before but want to make it a part of your exercise regimen, here are somethings that may make it more accessible for you. A lot of these tips can help in other forms of exercise too.

1. Get some good running shoes. Honestly a good pair of comfortable supportive running shoes is worth your money. My advice is to go somewhere that specializes in running shoes. This can save you a world of hurt. Most of the time they will have someone who can watch you run on a treadmill and offer suggestions on the type of shoe you need. A good running shoe store will let you run in the pair of shoes before you buy. I go to Deboer's in Bountiful.

2. Start off slow. Try running for 5 minutes. The next day add a minute. That's it. Slowly build up your running time. You may even find yourself at 7 minutes or 15 minutes for a week or two before you can increase and that is ok.

3. Eat right! Specifically, drinks. Drink lots of water and try not to drink soda. I don't really believe that rumour that carbonation will mess with your breathing, but carbonation can mess with your bones. Any soda carbonation with phosphate soda should be a occasional treat, like once a week or less. The reasoning behind this is Phosphate and Calcium compete in your stomach for absorption. Phosphorus will be absorbed before calcium will. Also Phosphorus can even leech calcium from your bones, making them weaker. Yuck! Weak bones leads to stress fractures and that will be a fatal demise to ANY workout program.

4. Work on your form. Having a good form can give you more bang for your buck when it comes to running. You can burn more calories just by adjusting your form a little. First raise your knees. Get them up high while you are running. Focus on them coming up at a 90 degree angle when you bring your foot to the front, just before you plant your foot on the ground. Second raise your heels up higher to your bum when you bring your foot through. These two moves will help you extend and burn more calories. Watch this video that describes running forms. I have no idea what power cranks are, but I like the way they compare nad contrast forms.

5. Try to keep your feet off the ground as much as possible. Do not land with the heel of your foot.

6. Have a specific goal in mind, like a set distance, 2 miles, or a max running time like 15- 20 minutes without stopping. Or being able to run a mile in a certain amount of time. Goals make exercise so much easier and harder at the same time. Somedays goals can seem impossible, and otherdays they can be great achievements.

*Enjoy in the sense that I don't absolutely feel like an idiot when I go running unlike when I attempt ball sports. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment